This course will provide a practical, evidence-based approach for the management of everyday problems in the management of prostate cancer, using a case based approach with examples from real practice. Cases will illustrate contemporary management of early and late stage disease with emphasis on how new molecular diagnostic and prognostic tests (PCA3, MDx Confirm, Mitomics, Prolaris, Oncotype Dx Prostate, Decipher, and others) can be used for improved clinical decision making in screening, decisions on initial biopsy and rebiopsy, choosing and following men for active surveillance, and managing PSA failures. In addition, best practice use of newer agents for management of castrate resistant disease will be reviewed, including the potential for use of targeted therapies based on genomic analysis of advanced tumors. The course will be of interest to individuals at all levels of clinical experience.
Objectives: After attending this course, participants should be able to:
- Design appropriate screening strategies based on individual demographics, risk factors, and PSA history and to incorporate new biomarkers into routine clinical practice
- Distinguish and understand the use of new molecular and genomic based tests for decisions on initial and rebiopsy, and choosing and following men on surveillance
- Appraise the role of surveillance, focal therapy, surgery and various forms of radiation therapy in patients with low and intermediate risk disease, including adjuvant and salvage radiation
- Enumerate and contrast the benefits and drawbacks of surgery vs radiation based approaches for the management of high risk localized disease
- Describe new therapeutic agents for the management of castrate resistant disease and outline a coherent strategy for their use
- Practicing Urologists
The AUA Office of Education would like to thank the companies who support continuing education of physicians. The AUA recognizes the following companies for providing educational grant support:
- Amgen Inc.
- Astellas Scientific and Medical Affairs, Inc.
- Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals
- Janssen Biotech, Inc.
AUAER ensures that all educational activities are developed and implemented independent of the control and/or influence of any commercial interests (ACCME: SCS1)
3:30 – 6:30 p.m.
Orange County Convention Center: W 207
|3:30 p.m.||-||6:30 p.m.||044PG: Management of Prostate Cancer: A Case Based Approach with Emphasis on Integrating New Molecular Diagnostics into Clinical Practice|
|Director: Eric A. Klein, MD|
|Faculty: Robert Dreicer, MD|
|Faculty: Andrew J. Stephenson, MD|